The boy in the white pyjama

My daughter, a shy little girl barely had any friends when he moved next door to us. The boy in the white pyjamas, this is how I have always seen him, early in the morning when I left for work and late in the evening when I came back. Though he was not a very social child, I could see a lot of interaction in his eyes. He would keep staring at a distance like in a deep thought or may be planning for the next game he would play. The day after they moved in our building next to our apartment, I decided to pay a visit like a good neighbour. I learnt that day that both his parents were working professionals like us, he was with his nanny at that time. So, I just had a little conversation with the boy introducing myself and my shy little girl. After dropping a little invitation card with the nanny for his parents to dine with us, I decided to head out to the grocery store.

It was a nice get together and our new neighbours seemed to be nice people. His mother gelled up well with me instantly and then as parents always do, we started complaining about our children jokingly. That's when I learnt that her boy was apparently a difficult child. Moody, would always come up with excuses for not going to the school, non-social and always confused. Somehow I felt sorry for the little boy and instantly felt connected. I don't know why but something compelled me to talk to him which of course I decided to keep for some other time. As it turned out, my daughter and he connected well and started meeting during the evening play sessions in the park. That's when I decided to strike a conversation but I knew I had to be very careful, not to affect him in a negetive manner. I started off by becoming a playmate to my girl and the boy in the white pyjamas as I would playfully called him. Going through the same exercise everyday, my patience was withering thin, he just wouldn't open up.

He didn't come to play that evening, I was worried so I decided to check upon him. To my horror and surprise, his mother dismissed his ill health as another excuse. That he was making some funny weird excuses so he doesn't have to get out of the bed, about not having any sensation in his toes and that he could not walk straight. I immediately knew he needed medical attention and that these were not excuses. His mother looked at me with a expression that said I was talking in some foreign language which she was not able to understand and as I mentioned the word "neurologist", she jus seemed to have lost her composure and almost screamed stating that her son was not having any psychological problems, that he is just making up these excuses to miss play dates and his classes. It was after much persuasion and sharing my struggle with the disorder that I could authenticate my plea and she agreed to pay a visit to the doctor.

MRI was conducted and her son was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. As parents they did not take it very well, that's when I decided to step up to help as the journey of the little boy and his parents began with a new resident in their lives - MS. Unfortunately people tend to think of it as a disorder that only affects adults and they refuse to listen to their kids' voice of pain. They dismiss their plea as just another excuse. Listen to your kids and understand what they say with a neutral point of view. Though symptoms in children differ from adults, it's very important to keep a check as the disorder progresses slowly in kids but tend to reach disability early on if left unattended. The most early signs that you need to look out for are:

1. Challenges with thinking and emotions
2. Changes in vision
3. Weakness
4. Muscle spasms
5. Sensory changes, tingling, numbness
6. Seizures
7. Tremors
8. Confusion

The symptoms are a result of inflammation in the brain and spinal cord. Corticosteroid shots seem to relieve them but the goal should be to prevent a relapse, treat if it occurs and relieve symptoms. Anxiety, depression and confusion are possible side effects of the disorder, so it's very important for the support group and family to step in the patient's shoes and help each other in the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something Borrowed

Every time I get shot

Be A Nobody